of the play
- As actor: all be discoveries of
- Actors have a tendency to love moments,
business and gestures. This is wrong.
- Adjustment for the moment.
- A living moment.
- A moment before the
something happens, don't resolve it right off. Give the audience
time. Applies to the clock-in-your-head.
- As actor: all be discoveries of the moment.
- Audience doesn't listen. It's
- Audience wants a moment
see if it could go this way or that way.
- Big moments come he makes
fun of it. (Everyone else is a basket case, not him.)
- Body language: (He grabs her,
he is drowning.) It has to be in every moment.
- Contest: biggest
moment of the scene.
- Dialogue: You don't know the lines coming. Deal with each moment...
- Different from moment to
- Don't be studied. When in doubt do nothing. Let the audience
know how to frame moments.
- Don't create movement for
- Don't get ready for the
- Don't make everything important. Don't make every
moment a gem. Don't have two people posturing.
Look for what is ironic in situation. Reason for plays.
- Don't rush it just because there are few lines.
It's about behavior, explore the moments.
Physicalize each transition, each moment explored.
- Don't tell the story of your life every
- Don't think the story. Think
what we want for the moment, make it all spontaneous. We don't know what's next. Every moment
of life is unpredictable.
- Drama of the moment: know
your next move. Know what is right.
- Dramatize each moment: do
each thing fully, then frame it. Series of discoveries for audience and character. Beginning, middle and end.
- Each moment has meaning.
- Each moment in a scene. Art of motion picture. Motion pictures are micro now,
full of detail.
- Each moment must be
played: Begin, middle, end.
- Each part of something.
- Explore the moment, it's
about behavior not dialogue.
- Every moment has value.
- Every moment must have a
- Every moment should be
- Every moment has a
beginning, middle and end. Then dialogue will have meaning.
- Every moment is story telling.
- Everything is a pistol shot. Every scene has a purpose. Why is scene in picture, why at this
moment does he ask her to marry her. Humans can not face the idea
to not exist. We can't conceive this. What people want is based on their
- Explore each moment, fill
it with emotion.
- Explore every moment.
- Farce: Problem is: each thing
was done mechanically, but then you have to make it real.
Make it all happen in heightened reality. If everything
is funny, nothing is funny, you will wear audience out.
"Find the moments to sacrifice the humor for
reality". In Comedy people can react to things
together, but not in drama.
- Fill each moment with content.
- Find as a performer every
moment can be different and exciting.
- Find the joke that fits the moment in play.
- Find the joke
that fits the moment in scene.
- Find the moments to
sacrifice the humor for reality.
- Furniture, atmosphere; know it, get use to it. Walk in see the room.
When act it it is like you walk into a dream, an illusion. All exploration. Explore each moment.
- Give them the emotion and inner life. Give yourself over to the
whole moment. To be real you must soak yourself.
- Going through moments,
just line to line is wrong.
- How long to play a moment?
Clock in your head.
- How you play each moment
important not dialogue.
- Humor is playing out every
moment. Humor of each situation. Humor is not waiting for the
- Learn how to exploit the moment.
- Making every moment important.
- Moment by moment.
- Moment when not knowing
where to go, wait, let audience get into your head.
- Mystery can be more than suspense, here it is. Main essence of story. Where is the
efficient? What is the story? What is the purpose of scene. What are the
that progress scene? The story efficient. Lorne Dern; funny face, not a beauty, but sexy.
Beauty comes within.
- Mystery: Will he, won't he, will she, or won't she. Find out
when to extend moments, it could go either way. Don't hurry,
explore every possible moment. Good guys going to win, bad guys going to win, stretch the rubber band.
- Not what they say. Forget radio. Moment
- Objective is something you
can do something about it, not just philosophical. This moment
in play: overcome a difficulty.
- Part magician. Contest,
dueling: Every moment a battle, find ways, every moment
is unusual. Theatrical sense. How do I make
everything special. Once you have a spell, don't move.
- Play out the moment:
beginning, middle, end.
- Play the moment.
moments by moments.
- Purpose of film today: Play each
moment fully. Don't over simplify in just dealing with plot.
- Recognize great moments.
Watch fine acting, explore everything actable
in each moment.
- Recognize the moments,
they are the lifeblood of drama.
- Rehearse, moment by
moment, explore like a bead one at a
time on a string.
- Stage the moment,
("I want the cigarette.")
- Staging it to make pictures to
tell the story. Give yourself playing area. What can be done at the moment, the objective, what are people doing to each other. Act overcoming objective, what do you want?
- Showmanship. Every moment.
- Stay consistent to style, play
that last moment to the hilt.
- Theater of
have intense moments.
- The last moment, don't
play the end.
- The "style" always changes everything. Only did
physical structure of scene. Explore every moment.
- The thing to do is not to act; every
doesn't have to be entertaining.
- This moment in play:
overcome a difficulty.
- Very honest, play out each
moment, find things.
- Watch out for certainty, we don't know what is going to happen,
look for real sound real, give up insecurity, can't play
from line to line, films are about body language, conflict, moment to moment.
- What difficulties the
character are under at moment. Create suspense you have to be in difficulties.
- What is going to happen, keep them waiting for the next moment.
- What is happening?
- What is peak moment,
which way does it go at certain point.
- When there are moments
where audience identifiable of emotions.
- When you act find the moments.
- When you are a star you have to be aware of certain things: If
a moment is important take your time.
- Writing a novel, you send a letter. Writing a play, you send a
telegram. A lot of happenings in each minute, value of
- You don't know the lines coming. Deal with each moment.
- You have to explore every moment with all your energy. Play all the
values. (Look at the table.) To turn on your lights also
means to turn on all your awareness.
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."