energy of life resemble life
- Actual life is broken up.
- All acting has to be larger
- Always find the unexpected. Resemble reality
it has to be conspired reality: planned reality is not organized: ragged
edge it is not smooth. Actors have to throw in difficulties.
That is the human dilemma. Do everything organized.
Life: nothing organized.
- Audience - see the secret of
- Awareness of
- Between life and
entertainment, pick entertainment.
- But a reflection of life.
Audience: Yes, I know I felt that way.
- Character has to have an
- Deal with life bravely. Showmanship.
- Difference in life and performance, in performance you have to be audible. In life, you
don't have to worry.
- Don't know where you're going, that is what
life is about.
- Don't tell the story of your
life every moment.
- Don't use energy you use in life.
Bigger than life style, fill stage, screen.
- Don't walk into a scene with the
same energy of life. Act
with a larger energy. Use everything you can in your relationship.
- Everybody's life is a
- Everything in life is
- First rule: must entertain
the people. Don't be a downer. People will turn you down. Deal with life
- Give them the emotion and
inner life. Give yourself over to the whole moment. To be
real you must soak yourself.
- Has to look like life. Art
is not truth, a lie to see the truth.
- Have to be on, turning on your lights.
Don't use energy you use in life. Bigger
than life style, you have to fill stage or screen.
- Humanity is always dreadful.
Don't look for the "ladeda" in life.
- In life we don't know what
comes next, the same in acting.
- In life
we struggle to overcome emotions, the job of
the actor is to be swimming in them.
- It's all work in progress. Life
is work in progress. All work (art) is in progress.
- Life can be, art cannot:
- Life is accidental, not
- Life is a continuous thing,
so don't do a scene piece by piece.
- Life is crazy.
- Life is full of
interruptions. In the middle of tragedy have an interruption.
- Life is not a high noon
- Life is not up front.
- Life is off the wall, can't
- Life is so funny - because
it is illogical.
- Life requires order, insanity; make changes with emotion,
don't be predictive, mad is totally unpredictable, always surprise audience.
- Life: nothing organized.
- Live it, do it, in life you
have a purpose.
- Make it look like life not theater. Documentary different look. Don't make it on the
- Look on forms of vases. Greek. Full of symbolism down to
sculptures, paintings, from life, not street gestures. Each one has an attitude, figures,
essence of the human figure, not a picture in bronze.
- Must resemble life.
- Mystery of life.
- Not a duplication of life,
if it does you have monotony, but a reflection of life.
[audience] "Yes, I know, I felt that way." Something that will stir the
- Not a duplication of life, if it does you
have monotony, but a reflection of life. Audience says, "Yes, I know
I felt that way." Something that will stir the audience.
- No ways resembles life.
- Play to the audience's pulse. Everybody's
is a failure.
- Play the human
being. Show the brave side of life.
Look for opportunities.
- Recall things in life that
the audience has forgotten.
- Resemble life: don't answer
all answers all up front. Feel emotion, do objective.
Let talent take over. Less the better.
principles of acting
come from all the things you do in life.
- That is the human dilemma, to
do everything organized. Life: nothing organized.
- Theater is never life.
- To make it work: take life
and make it bigger. Beyond performance size.
- View of things: seen through observation or experience through
- We go to the theater to live other
- Writer gives story, character, dialogue. Actor gives it life.
- You are not in a temple, you have to be entertaining, larger
than life, occupy the space.
- All of it is the sad story of life.
It's the way life goes. It's sad, it's unfair, it's
terrible, it's suffering, it's tragic. There is no good comedy
Weird, deal with life. Can't play
straight. Comedy opposites. Key:
Fun and nightmare. Don't go in and out of drama; soap
opera. Need actors who are already off
- Farce is life turned upside
down. What is norm, then don't do it.
- Think funny to end up funny,
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."